Thursday, September 17, 2009

Scene

Two men driving down a dark highway in the rain.

Brad: This is a good song.
Driver: What?
(Silence.)
Brad: I said-
Driver: What did you say?
Brad: I said this was a good song.
Driver: Do you want me to turn it off?
Brad: No, no. I like it. I was just saying it's a good song. You don't have to turn it off.
(Silence.)
Brad: Unless you want to turn it off.
Driver: What?
Brad: You can turn it off if you want to, I don't care.
Driver: I like this song.
Brad: Yeah. Yeah, me too. You should turn it up.
Driver: But then we can't talk.
Brad: Right. Right. That's a good point.
(Silence.)
Brad: So did you grow up around here?
Driver: I don't even know where we are.
Brad: We're in Beaver, I think. Yeah, there's a sign right there. Beaver.
Driver: Yeah, I grew up right around here.
Brad: That's cool.
(Silence.)
Brad: This is a nice car. Buying or leasing?
Driver: We don't have to talk.
Brad: Yeah. Yeah, we don't have to talk. Who says we have to talk?
(Silence.)
Brad: Maybe I'll just turn up the radio-
Driver: What are you doing?
Brad: I was just going to turn up the radio.
Driver: I thought we talked about that already.
Brad: Oh yeah. Right. I forgot.
(Silence.)
Driver: I like to write poetry.
Brad: Yeah? Really?
Driver: Would you like to hear one of my poems?
Brad: Yeah. I would really- That would be nice.
Driver: Ooh baby, baby. It is a wild world. It's hard to get by just upon a smile girl. Ooh baby, baby. It is a wild world. I'll always remember you like a child, girl.
Brad: That's Cat Stevens, right?
Driver: Excuse me?
Brad: No, maybe-
(Silence.)
Brad: Never mind. I don't know- Never mind.
Driver: I wrote it for my daughter.
Brad: Really? You have a daughter?
Driver: Yeah, I have a daughter. Her name's Cat.

1 comment:

  1. This is very nice nelson. keep up the good work. haha jk. love you

    ReplyDelete