Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Poem 3: Love Poem

Envy is a Red Dress

It was ladies' choice and
The girl in the red dress went with
another guy

I went with Destiny.

I couldn't help but stare
at her
looking at him
looking at her
looking at him

so happy
with him

and here I am
alone.
Dancing with Destiny.
She broke my heart
without even knowing my name.

"Hi Kyle," she said.
I couldn't believe it.
I knew that she knew.
Alone with her for only a moment,
a moment
that will last forever.

I returned to my date with Destiny.
She returned
looking at him
looking at her
dancing.

And I kid you not
"Lady in Red" was the song they played.
I'd never seen anyone so beautiful
charming
from across a crowded room
then the song ended.

Crowds of kids walked to their cars
laughing
I wanted to cry

Why couldn't she
be going home with me?

I had to apologize
to Destiny.
It wasn't her fault.

But listen
see this story has a happy ending.
You know that girl?
The one in the red dress
who looked more beautiful than...

Well, we got married.

We laugh about that night
when she first spoke to me
and I fell in love.
And she swears-- that night--
the dress she was wearing
was black.

1 comment:

  1. damn.. this went from heartbreak to happy ending. I wonder.. what if destiny felt the same way about you?? Talk about dropping the bomb.

    Your a hero of mine nelson!

    ReplyDelete